In this post you can watch and/or download a video tutorial about Microsoft’s Excel 2016 Power Query basic features.
The parts of the tutorial are the following:
- Part 1: an overview of Power Query, the working files used in the tutorial and the final report which you learn to create in the next sessions
- Part 2: Create connection to the “Amounts.csv” file and apply steps to create Year and Month columns using the Date Column.
- Part 3: Connect to the “Persons.csv” file, merge columns “FirstName” and “LastName” into one column “Full Name”. Merge the two queries created from the two csv files using a Left Join on the “Persons ID” column.
- Part 4: Group data in order to show the amounts summarized by years. Pivot the “Year” column in order to show every year on a different column. Add new data to the csv files and refresh the report in order to see live data.
- Part 5: Connect with Excel 2016 Power Query to a SQL Server Database and Create a simple report based on multiple tables.