As you might noticed, Excel is one of my passions, so I always thought about creating an Excel Hire test that would test the knowledge of candidates about the most important Excel concepts.
So here it is 🙂
What covers this test ?
- Lookup Functions: vlookup, index and match
- Basic Reference Function: offset
- Basic Date Functions
- Math Functions: rounding, conditional count/sum, min/max, rank etc
- Basics of Pivot Tables
- Text Functions and Formulas: concatenate or “&”, left, right, mid, len, find/search, substitute.
- Error handling function: Iferror.
- Logical Functions: if, and, or.
- Data Validation.
- Basic Conditional Formatting.
- Basic Named Ranges.
- Basics of Charts.
- Basic VBA macro. (in reality, the VBA problem presented in this test can be solved as well in a more easy way, without VBA code. Find out by yourself how 🙂 )
Some examples of what this test does not cover:
- More complex Reference functions: indirect, rows, columns, lookup etc.
- Array Formulas.
- Financial Formulas: ex: PMT.
- Complex dynamic charts and dashboards, pivotcharts etc.
- What-If analysis.
- Statistical Functions.
- Complex date and time functions: ex: networkdays, datedif etc.
- Some useful information functions: IS (isna, isblank, iserror, isnumber etc).
- Protecting worksheeets and workbooks.
- Connections to external data sources.
- Complex VBA macros.
- Database Functions.
- Sorting, Autofilter and Advanced filter features.
Unsolved test preview:
I suggest download and solve this test by yourself following this UNSOLVED TEST LINK.
In case you want to download the solved version of the test, you can get it from this SOLVED TEST LINK.
*Please note that this Excel Hire Test covers most of the concepts that Excel (and not only) uses. If an user handles this, then in my opinion we can say that he understands how Excel works and he knows how to use it properly.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, ideas or other queries related to this test example.